A semester abroad in Santiago, Chile, offers students of Spanish an unforgettable opportunity to immerse themselves in Spanish language and culture while studying at the top-ranked university in Latin America, the Pontifica Universidad Católica in Chile. The program runs during the summer and fall semesters. It begins in June with an optional intensive language course in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The program continues in July with a three-week traveling seminar to Patagonia. It concludes with a fall semester in the capital city of Santiago, Chile.
Students in the program typically take 1-2 courses during the summer and 4-5 courses during the fall. SPA 329 Contemporary Issues in Chile and Latin America (3h), taught during July, is required and includes a three-week trip to Patagonia. All courses are taught in Spanish. Academic courses are generally scheduled Monday through Thursday, leaving three-day weekends for exploring the city or travel to other destinations. During the fall, students may elect to do an internship.
- SPA 195: Spanish in Action, Intensive Intermediate Spanish*
- SPA 304: Interculturality, Diversity, and Social Justice in Contemporary Argentina* (elective credit towards the Spanish major/minor)
- SPA 329/POL 242: Contemporary Issues in Chile and Latin America† (elective credit towards the Spanish major/minor)
- SPA 319: Cultura y sociedad latinoamericana (elective credit towards the Spanish major/minor)
- SPA 329: Mitos y cantos prehispánicos (elective credit towards the Spanish major/minor)
- SPA 366: Dictatorships, Human Rights, and Historical Memory in Chile and the Southern Cone (seminar credit towards the Spanish major/minor)
Remaining courses are chosen from a large selection of courses offered at the Pontificia Universidad Católica and the Universidad de Chile.
*June Pre-Program Language Preparation courses in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Required if entering the program with the equivalent of three semester of Spanish instruction; Optional if entering the program with the equivalent of four semester.
†July Traveling Course in Patagonia/Santiago; Required.